Happy Easter! I hope you all didn't eat as much candy as I did! My mother brought some Easter candy from the states, and now I feel gross, but it was great! The rents have been here for a while now. We bummed two days in Madrid (well there was really very little 'bumming' going on) spent one day in Segovia, one in Toledo, today in Madrid, and we are going to Salamanca (the city not the barrio) tomorrow. We went to a bull fight today. It was horrible. I know that I should have been fully aware of what I was getting myself into, but I wasn't ready for it. We were too close, and it was too painful to watch, but watch I did. And of course, I documented it. Photographing it was actually easier, b/c it removed me from watching it in real life. You could see the bull getting crazier by the minute, blood shining on it's back. The way it works is that a man on a horse stabs it to get the blood flowing. Then a few matadors stab it with decorative daggers and then the matador shoves a sword all the way in it's back. After if staggers to the ground another matador comes and cuts it's spinal cord to make it more "humane" so the bull doesn't feel it (granted this is at the END). Also, it consisted of 6 fights/kills, so I got to watch various bulls being killed and then dragged off the stadium by three horses. We did leave before the last one though. I understand this is a necessary cultural experience in Spain, but it is an experience I have no desire to have again. I spent most of it crying. It really was that bad. Just looking at the bull, in it's confusion and stress and fear. It's really awful to watch in real life.
Sunday, April 24, 2011
Mis padres están parte 1
Happy Easter! I hope you all didn't eat as much candy as I did! My mother brought some Easter candy from the states, and now I feel gross, but it was great! The rents have been here for a while now. We bummed two days in Madrid (well there was really very little 'bumming' going on) spent one day in Segovia, one in Toledo, today in Madrid, and we are going to Salamanca (the city not the barrio) tomorrow. We went to a bull fight today. It was horrible. I know that I should have been fully aware of what I was getting myself into, but I wasn't ready for it. We were too close, and it was too painful to watch, but watch I did. And of course, I documented it. Photographing it was actually easier, b/c it removed me from watching it in real life. You could see the bull getting crazier by the minute, blood shining on it's back. The way it works is that a man on a horse stabs it to get the blood flowing. Then a few matadors stab it with decorative daggers and then the matador shoves a sword all the way in it's back. After if staggers to the ground another matador comes and cuts it's spinal cord to make it more "humane" so the bull doesn't feel it (granted this is at the END). Also, it consisted of 6 fights/kills, so I got to watch various bulls being killed and then dragged off the stadium by three horses. We did leave before the last one though. I understand this is a necessary cultural experience in Spain, but it is an experience I have no desire to have again. I spent most of it crying. It really was that bad. Just looking at the bull, in it's confusion and stress and fear. It's really awful to watch in real life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment