Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Janitor in a Refrigerator

I am currently finishing my last week as a janitor for the university. I have been cleaning refrigerators for the last two weeks 40 hours a week. I have developed a new sense of appreciation for janitors and a new sense of loathing for college students that live in dorms (of which I was one last year). I will say that I am glad I don't have a weak gag reflex. The worst refrigerator was without a doubt the one that the students didn't even attempt to clean out. As a dorm resident myself I know that house fellows are very forceful about students unplugging and emptying their refrigerators. Apparently this student(s) chose only to unplug. I'm going to give you a moment to consider what could have been left in this fridge...Some fairly innocent things such as soda, a Red Bull, a jar of jam, and some much more unpleasant things such as meat, cheese, and mayonnaise. This meat had been in an unplugged refrigerator for at least two weeks. My gag reflex was not strong enough for this and I couldn't clean it without getting a mask and shallow breathing.

While cleaning this fridge I found myself fantasizing about finding the people that lived in this room. Tracking them down and making them pay for their careless abandonment of perishables in a hostile environment and giving no consideration for the poor soul (me) that would have to deal with their mold covered fridge. Ah, well, two more days!

No comments:

Post a Comment